Murfreesboro Post-Divorce Lawyers Come to Your Aid When Circumstances Change

Divorce changes everything

Divorce is complicated. You and your former spouse had to decide so many things; some of the decisions were painful. It was a relief to agree finally on all the important issues: parenting time, division of assets and debts, and alimony. But then your circumstances changed.

What do you do now?

In Tennessee you can change your divorce order through post-judgment modification. Courts may award modifications whenever a party experiences a material and significant change in circumstances. If things have changed for you since your divorce, our astute post-divorce attorneys at Kidwell, South, Beasley & Haley help you evaluate and decide whether to apply to the court for a post-judgment modification.

What circumstances justify a request for post-judgment modification?

Before a court grants a post-judgment modification, you must have a material and significant change in circumstances. Essentially, something unforeseen must have occurred that the divorce order did not address. Usually parties want modification of alimony, child support, or a parenting plan. Circumstances that may warrant a modification to these orders may include

  • An increase of 15 percent or more in a party’s income
  • Long term disability
  • External factors influencing income
  • Circumstances influencing a party’s ability to care for a child
  • A military transfer

Before ordering a modification, courts consider many factors. They evaluate the parties’ credibility as well as evidence concerning the circumstances provoking the request for a change.

Do not ignore a request for a post-judgment modification or attempt to ask the court for one on your own. Our skilled post-divorce attorneys have worked in the Tennessee court system for many years. We can help you prepare a request that is supported by all the pertinent factors the judge needs to know to make the right decision.

Parenting plan changes

When devising a parenting plan, you try to think of all the relevant issues, but children grow and change. Sometimes, in the best interests of your child, a parenting plan may need to change. Consider asking for a revision to a parenting plan when experiencing the following:

  • The child has behavior problems
  • The child is over 12 and wants to change living arrangements
  • A parent has become unable to care for a child
  • The child wants or needs certain immaterial or material things not covered under the plan

With many years of experience helping others in post-divorce proceedings, our post-divorce lawyers know what you need to do to obtain a modification. We help you navigate the rules regarding what you need to do if you want to change some provisions of your order.

Murfreesboro post-divorce attorneys help facilitate post-divorce changes

Life is uncertain. A divorce alters your hopes for the future. No matter how hard you try, you may not consider everything when negotiating your divorce. Do not let your divorce order be the straight jacket that prevents you from living your life to the fullest. The Murfreesboro post-divorce lawyers at Kidwell, South, Beasley & Haley, are dedicated to finding solutions to your post-divorce issues. Call us at 615-893-1331 or contact us online today.