Murfreesboro Personal Injury Attorneys

Trust our experience to answer your most common personal injury questions

The aftermath of an injury to yourself or a loved one can be a confusing and painful time. There are many questions to ask, and though we may not have every answer, the attorneys at Kidwell, South, Beasley and Haley can help you through this trying time.

You can always contact us  for a free consultation, but below are common questions we receive from our clients.

Can I sue over any injury?

Simply being injured does not necessarily mean you have a case for a personal injury claim. Personal injury claims and lawsuits are valid when the injury was caused by the negligence of another party.

What is negligence and how is it determined?

Negligence occurs when one party does not perform a duty with the care that a reasonably prudent person would use. This essentially means that a person did not take the proper precautions a reasonable person would take to ensure the safety and security of others or their property.

Am I eligible for Tennessee Worker’s Compensation benefits?

Worker’s Compensation may be available to you if your injury occurred on the job and meets certain requirements under the Tennessee Worker’s Compensation Act. For instance, you must inform your supervisor within 30 days of the injury or when a doctor tells you it is work-related. We can help you understand this process and f you may be eligible for worker’s compensation.

Will my personal injury case go to trial?

Not necessarily. Very often, personal injury claims are settled out of court with the defendant or with an insurance company. Even in these situations it is important to work with an attorney to ensure you are properly represented at the negotiating table.

What types of damages can I be compensated for?

You may be eligible for several types of compensation in your personal injury case. In addition to compensation for your medical bills, you may be able to recover lost wages or receive compensation for damaged property or loss of quality of life.

What are compensatory and punitive damages?

Compensatory damages are the types outlined above. They are provided as compensation for your financial or physical losses. Punitive damages are used as a symbolic punishment for extreme negligence. This is meant to ensure the party at fault does not repeat the mistake.

Should I speak with insurance companies on my own?

Very often, insurance companies representing the other party in a personal injury case may seek a statement from you. If they do, it is generally in your best interest to not offer any information until you have consulted with an experienced Tennessee personal injury attorney.

What is modified comparative fault?

Tennessee uses a modified comparative fault rule to determine personal injury liability. While this sounds confusing, it basically means that people are responsible for their own actions. This is applied by determining a level of fault for each party and awarding compensation accordingly. So if you are injured and awarded $100,000 but the injury was 50% your fault, you would receive $50,000 in compensation.

Speak with a Murfreesboro personal injury attorney for a free consultation

Every case is different, so it is important that you speak with an experienced attorney like those at Kidwell, South, Beasley and Haley. We have served the people of Middle Tennessee for more than 40 years, and can help you deal with the aftermath of your injuries. Contact us online or at 615-893-1331 for your free personal injury consultation.