Murfreesboro Domestic Assault Defense Law Firm
Domestic Violence is Serious — For All Parties Involved
Domestic assault is more than a criminal charge. If convicted, there are consequences beyond jail, probation and fines. Like a DUI conviction, a domestic assault conviction can affect your life in many ways.
At the Kidwell, South, Beasley & Haley law firm, our Murfreesboro domestic assault defense lawyers know that even an arrest for domestic assault can have a stigma that won’t go away. We are here to represent you, stand by you and minimize the consequences.
- Domestic assault charges are extremely common, but are seldom talked about. We can help you understand the reality of the situation and determine your best options. The charge — even if the alleged victim wants to drop the charges — will not go away without legal action. Once charges are filed against you, the prosecutor can, and often will proceed against you with or without the cooperation of the victim.
- It may seem easy to plead guilty and get the charges behind you, but there can be serious, long-term consequences for doing so. If convicted, you risk losing your freedom, your right and ability to carry or possess a gun, and your ability to be in contact with your family and access to your home. You may be court ordered to attend anger management classes, alcoholics anonymous, perform community service, and be placed on supervised probation.
- If you have been convicted of domestic assault, you will have a criminal record that could affect your ability to get a job, a loan or an education.
- Diversion or retirement of the charges can effectively erase the charges after meeting the court’s criteria within a certain period of time. Our criminal defense attorneys will aggressively pursue these and other options while working for you.
Orders of Protection and Restraining Orders
Domestic violence can have serious implications other than criminal charges. Sometimes, alleged victims of domestic violence seek orders of protection or restraining orders. Even though these are civil in nature, they can have the same serious consequences as criminal charges.
- If an order of protection or restraining order is granted against you, you risk losing your right and ability to carry or possess a gun, and your ability to be in contact with your family and access to your home. You may be court ordered to attend anger management classes and alcoholics anonymous.
- If an order of protection or restraining order is granted against you, the court has the power to order you to pay child support and/or spousal support.
- If an order of protection or restraining order is granted against you, visitation with your children can be supervised, limited, or even suspended.
Tennessee Restraining Order Attorneys: 615-893-1331
Spousal abuse and other types of domestic assault are taken seriously by the police and prosecutors. It is important to have legal advice. The charges carry a lot of emotion. You need a defense lawyer who will make sure your side of the story is heard, that you are treated fairly and that the consequences are as minimal as possible under the circumstances.
Do not fight this alone. Contact us for a FREE consultation.